Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sick and teething baby

Well Emmett has a cold.  He and Chris both do.  Luckily I don't.  Let's hope it stays that way.  Its keeping him up at night.  Tuesday night is when Chris starting feeling the symptoms.  Tuesday night is the first night in nearly 3 months that I've had to get up with Emmett.  He didn't seem to have any symptoms then, just was awake and upset.  I was up with him for about 2 hours before he let me put him down without waking up and crying.  Throughout the day yesterday he started having a snotty nose and sneezing and coughing, but he still wasn't too bad.  Last night he had trouble going to sleep at bedtime, which is not at all like him, so I knew he was really sick.  He also just popped a corner of a molar through the other day, which most likely has been causing him some pain as well.  He has been drooling a bit more than usual, which he usually doesn't do much.  Well we finally got him down by about 9:30 last night, after giving him some tylenol.  He would be completely asleep in my arms and then wake up and cry like he was in pain.  He just kept doing that, so we decided he needed some tylenol for the pain.  After that he fell into a pretty deep sleep.  He slept all the way until 4:00 this morning when he woke up crying and couldn't get back to sleep.  I went in and picked him up and he was burning up.  He's never had a fever before, so I didn't know what it felt like, but I was sure his face felt way hotter than usual.  I used our forehead thermometer that told me his temp was 100.  I gave him some more tylenol, nursed him, and got him back to sleep.  But again, every time I tried to lay him down he would wake up and cry.  I finally just resigned myself to holding him and spending the rest of the night in the glider.  About 7:00 he was done sleeping, although he was obviously still tired.  He was just too miserable to sleep anymore.  I checked his temp again and it was down to normal.  I nursed him like I usually do when he wakes up and we went downstairs to play.  He was ready for his morning nap a little earlier than usual, which I expected.  He slept for 2 hours and I slept for probably an hour and a half of that time.  I was pretty tired since I didn't get much sleep after 4:00 AM.  He seemed better after his morning nap.  This afternoon we even got out for a walk since it got nice and warm out today.  He just got up from his afternoon nap.  He slept almost an hour and half, but he still woke up crying so I can tell he's still not right.  Hopefully last night was the worst of it and he'll do better tonight.  I'm not sure which symptoms are from the cold and which are from the teething since the symptoms can be similar.  He's never had any problems cutting his other teeth, but I've heard the molars can be gnarly, so I kind of expected it.  So let's hope both Emmett gets a better night's sleep tonight, and maybe Mommy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment