Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ick.

So the cold I thought was weak was apparently just getting started.  I feel like crap.  Good thing is Emmett seems fine.  His didn't get bad, and that's the importnat thing.  Enough about sickness.

So we are going to the game on Saturday at VT.  I am so freakin' excited!  Its been years since I've been to a game.  I just hope I feel better by then so I can really enjoy it.  And I sure hope we continue to play well.  I usually don't worry about Duke, but this year...

I am thinking a lot lately about when I want to have a second baby.  Financially we can't afford it right now, but I always thought I wanted my kids to be close in age.  Now I'm not so sure for other reasons as well.  I know that I won't be able to give a second baby the full attention that I was able to give Emmett, because Emmett will need my attention too.  You only have your first baby once.  It makes me sad that Emmett won't be a baby much longer, and I always made myself feel better by thinking about how I'm going to have another baby someday.  Well now I realize that having another one won't be the same.  I think maybe if Emmett is closer to 3 instead of 2 years old when I have the second one that I may be able to enjoy and dote on the baby a little bit more since he will be more independent.  But when they get older will they get along as well?  I just don't know.  I agonized just as much over the decision of when to have the first one.  I always just hoped I would get pregnant by accident and then the decision part would be taken out of my hands.  I find myself hoping for that again.  And frankly, this time around that's a lot more likely since I am not currently on birth control since it messes with your milk supply when breastfeeding.  I also considered going back to work for a year before having another baby.  I thought the idea of leaving Emmett would get easier as he got older, but it isn't.  I just don't see myself going back to work, at least not full time.  So...stalemate.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Jeremy and Eric are 3 years apart and are close friends. My sisters and I are five and six years apart, and I consider both of them my best friends. So I don't think you should worry about the distance in age being a big factor in whether or not they'll get along -- I really think it comes down to either they will, or they won't, and age doesn't really define it. I agree that having a second baby after the first is a little more independent is a good thing, mainly because that's what I'm thinking, too! haha :-) Then, on the subject of work -- if you can swing not going back to work, I think that's ok. From an employer's point of view, if I were to look at a resume that had bits and pieces of work history, with long(ish) lapses in between, I'd be like -- what the heck, I hire you and you ditch after the first year? No thanks. But if it's just one contiguous lapse and you start back in on work after you're done having kids, I think that's a bit more common and a lot more acceptable. But that's just my opinion, and how I'd look at a resume.

    Yay for the Hokies kicking the crap out of Duke :-) -- Miss you/love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you and Eric are both good friends with your siblings. I'm glad that I can say that about Mike. Did you always get along when you were growing up too? Mike and I did except for about 4th and 5th grade through middle school. By the time we hit highschool we pretty much had to be friends since we saw each other all the time, both being in band and various other activities together. And that also worked in college with us both being in Wesley. Thanks for the work advice too. I think its best for me to continue to stay home as long as I can. But that also lends itself to the idea of having the second child sooner so that I can get back to work sooner once they are both in school. Anyway, miss you/love you too!

    ReplyDelete