Wednesday, June 15, 2011

and the student becomes the teacher

In my last post I was wondering whether or not I am teaching Emmett enough.  Well it seems every time I question something, he shows me the answer.  The other day I was actively trying to work on body parts with him, like the parts of the face and other body parts.  Sometimes he will point to them when I ask, and other times he looks at me like I'm speaking Chinese.  Well the other night he was in the tub and without me even asking, he pointed to his nose and said "No."  (He doesn't get the ending on most words.)  "Good job!" I told him.  And then he pointed to his ear and said "Eh" which is the closest he can get to "ear" at this point.  I asked him where his mouth is and he touched his mouth and said "Mo."  I asked him to show me his eye and he just about poked himself in the eye.  We have to be careful with that one.  He knows where his belly is but he can't say it, and he knows where his peepee is and can say that one too.  And he knows and can say toe.  Then just a couple of days ago he pointed to his knee and said knee and I haven't even tried to teach him that.  It just goes to show that you can't force these things, they learn from watching the world around them.

Today the weather was pleasantly cool for June but still sunny.  So I postponed laundry to tomorrow and we headed to the park.  We stayed for nearly two hours and had a great time.  Emmett is getting really good at climbing the ladder to the one slide and he climbs the stairs up to the other slides too holding onto the handrails.  He even climbed the "rock wall" which is really just a plastic wall with little steps cut out, but its relatively steep.  Its been a few weeks since we have been to that playground and I was so impressed with how much more he could do this time.  We sat on the bench and he ate some raisins and drank some water from my nalgene bottle, only pouring it down himself once, which is pretty good considering its the wide mouth variety.  It was just nice to be outside without feeling like we're going to melt in the heat.  I hope this cool wave continues.

This is one of those days where I could eat an entire can of frosting with a spoon.  Good thing I don't have any.  Bummer.  Or a whole bag of marshmallows would do, but again, none in the pantry.  Maybe today is not a good day to go grocery shopping.  I'm afraid of what I might come home with.

No comments:

Post a Comment