Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A rare rough night

For some reason Emmett woke up at 5:15 Tuesday morning.  I heard him crying through the monitor so I went in to see what was wrong because he almost never wakes up before 8:00.  I thought maybe he had lost his pacifier, which is usually the only reason he fusses anymore.  When I opened the door he was standing up in his crib holding his pacifier, so that wasn't it.  I got him out and considered changing his diaper, but decided not to because I didn't want to wake him up any further than he already was.  I sat down with him in the glider and rocked him for a while.  His eyes closed right away and he seemed to be asleep.  I held him for a while longer just to make sure and he seemed out.  But then when I tried to stand up he started crying again.  So I sat back down and we rocked a while longer.  Finally about 6:00 he was really out so I laid him down and went back to bed.  I was hoping to get maybe 2 more hours of sleep because I don't have to get up until 8:00 to get ready for work.  Well I managed to get back to sleep but woke again to the sound of Emmett crying at 6:23.  I went back in and this time I went ahead and changed his diaper.  I settled back in the glider with him again and we rocked until about 7:00 when Chris left for work.  I held him until I heard the garage door close and then attempted to put him down again.  Well this time after I laid him down he just stood up and whined.  So I carried him to my bed to see if he would maybe just lay down with me for a while.  Well that didn't work, and I wasn't surprised because bringing him into our bed has never worked for E.  So we got up.  I let him run around our bedroom while I got ready for work.  He was driving me crazy getting into everything.  Usually I leave him in his crib happily talking to himself while I get ready, but that wasn't an option that morning.  I finally managed to get make-up on, my hair done, and myself dressed in between saving various items from being thrown in the toilet and keeping the toilet paper on the roll.  We were done with breakfast before Nana even got there to watch him for the day.  It was a long morning.  When I got to work I got myself a Mt. Dew (no matter how hard I try, I still can't drink coffee) and that perked me up just enough to be nice to members on the phone.  Needless to say, my sales were not up to par that day.

But last night he fell asleep fast, a little after 9:00 and slept until 8:00 this morning.  Now that's a typical night for us.  Am I really ready to do the newborn thing all over again?  I must admit it scares me slightly.  Nights like that made me a little crazy.  And if there's two, what if they both wake up at night?  Oh my.  Yeah, I think I can wait a few more months to start trying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment