Friday, July 15, 2011

A cold day in July

The weather is just beautiful here today.  Not even into the 80's yet according to our window thermometer.  Emmett and I went to the park this morning.  Unfortunately the first two parks we tried had something going on preventing us from being able to play.  So when we finally reached the third park, we only had about 45 minutes to play, bummer.  But we made the most of it.  There was another mom there with an 8 year old girl and a 3 year old boy.  Emmett loved the other kids, especially the boy.  He definitely wanted to do whatever he was doing.  Which prompted him to get up the courage to go down the big slide.  And when I say "the big slide", I mean this slide is taller than I can reach.  When he started up the steps I got a bit nervous because the steps are too steep for him to go up alone.  Also, he's not very good at stopping and catching himself with his feet at the bottom of the slide.  And I couldn't be at the top and the bottom at the same time.  Finally I got him to sit down at the top and I said, "Wait."  He sat there and waited very nicely.  I climbed down and stood beside the slide to catch him about halfway and slow him down so he wouldn't slide off the end.  But then he just sat up there and wouldn't slide down.  I told him to push off and slide down and it was like he couldn't figure out how to get started.  Finally he pushed off and slid down.  His shoes actually slowed him down a lot and he probably would have been fine without any help.  I was really proud of him for getting up the courage to do that.  He went down the big slide a few more times today.  The hardest part for me was the few seconds that I had to leave him sitting up there at the top while I ran down to the bottom.  Once he tried to stand back up at the top and I just about freaked because he could fall so easily.  I told him to sit back down and he did.  He doesn't always listen because he's 19 months old.  But he seems to know when the situation is serious and he usually does what I tell him in those situations.  Maybe its something in my voice, in my face, I don't know.  I want to get some pictures of him at the playground sometime, but I find it hard to take pictures when I'm trying to keep up with him.  I guess we'll have to do it on the weekend sometime when Chris is there.  I don't have nearly enough pictures of us out doing things for that very reason.  I'm tired of all my pictures of Emmett being in our living room.

My driver's license expires on Tuesday.  Happy Birthday to me, get to go to the DMV.  I'm planning to go Monday after work.  Let's hope it doesn't take 2 hours.  I just don't want to have to drag poor Emmett along.  I'm sure that would be a peach.  Would it kill them to have any weekend hours?

Sunday is our anniversary.  To this day I don't care for the date.  No matter how hard we try, our anniversary and my birthday seem to become one event.  But in the summer of 2004, that was literally the only day we could get married.  But tomorrow night Chris's parents are going to watch him for us so that we can go out.  We were going to see a movie, but there's actually nothing playing we both want to see.  We will at least go to dinner at Johnny Carinos.

No comments:

Post a Comment